Friday, February 6, 2009

Ghostbusters 2009!!!!

The photos of the Mattel Ghostbusters from the NY Comic Con are finally up. I'm going to reproduce them here, but so I don't get in trouble, all of them are taken from Toy News International here.

1. Now, I have the NECA version of Slimer, and I love it. This new sculpt from Mattel is similar, but strikingly different; it's much more Real Ghostbusters, but is still distinctly movie-based. However, the NECA version has a great feel to it, the gloss paint over Slimer's body gives him a great "slimy" look, AND he glows in the dark (not much, but it's there). So I feel like doing better than NECA on Slimer will be incredibly difficult, and based on this photo, I'm not exceptionally impressed. In fact (blasphemy alert), I might not buy this one when he's released. That's a big maybe though. (Also, this is a larger version of the 6" Slimer.)


2. Holy crap. According to what I've heard, this Egon is a "2-up" version of the 6" figures-- i.e., this is a 12" version of the 6" one (there's also a Ray Stantz 2-up, pictured below). I feel like it will be incredibly difficult to shrink down the level of detail this figure has into a 6" scale (I mean, LOOK at the proton pack). However, I have faith in the Four Horsemen (who sculpted all of the 6" figures), as all of the DC Superheroes figures I have are amazing (admittedly, on a slightly larger scale), and the detail is pretty well retained. With all that said, just... just look at this Egon. The likeness is incredible, the jumpsuit is sculpted perfectly, there is literally nothing wrong with this figure. From what I can see, anyway. Now if Mattel REALLY wants my money, there will be variants of the 6" figures in the Ghostbusters 2 charcoal gray/black uniforms with slime blowers.

A boy can dream.



3. These are examples of the 6" figures, which is exactly how I pictured them. I figured the articulation would be simpler (do Ghostbusters really need ab crunches and ankle flexion? Nah), and it looks like there's a significant amount of detail scaled down from the 2-up. I can't say a whole lot more about until the paint is applied and the figures are finished, other than I can hardly wait to buy all of them. I really hope mattycollector.com has pre-orders for these, because-- while the following statement depends significantly on one's definition of need-- I need these figures. What I really want to know is what accessories the 6" figures will come with; will they come with a ghost like the old RGB figures (I doubt it)? Or will the supposedly in-the-works RGB figures come with accessory ghosts? I hope so.

4. This is a posterior view of the 12" prototype Ray Stantz. Now, like I have said, I don't collect 12" figures. However, now that there is a Hot Toys Dark Knight on its was to my grubby hands, and despite my plans to continue not collecting 12" figures, I will own every single one of these Ghostbusters. I mean, just take a quick look to the left at the level of detail on that proton pack. And the ghost trap. And the ecto-goggles. They are absolutely stunning.

Of course, I can't really tell much about the body underneath the clothing, but it seems to be well-articulated (not like a Ghostbuster Ken or something horrifying) in all aspects. Though the facial sculpt doesn't look an incredible amount like Dan Aykroyd, it's close enough. I also haven't seen the other figures yet, but I'm very excited to see them all.

So there it is. The greatest toy news of all time, with some of the most incredible looking figures I've ever seen. Here's hoping there's more from New York tomorrow.

I WANT.

No comments:

Post a Comment