Monday, June 15, 2009

Ecto-500, eBay and a Terror Dog

I didn't really get into toy collecting until I discovered eBay. Prior to then, I would buy something here and there at retail, which would satisfy some kind of unnamed craving I refused to acknowledge (for example, I bought a Nexu figure from Star Wars episode II one day while feeling depressed; I didn't like Episode II, and had no attachment to that particular monster... but I needed a toy. Odd, right?).

Well, when I discovered eBay, I discovered that quite literally anything I wanted, I could find (note: not entirely true, but more on that shortly). And so it is, to this day, I will just go on eBay and browse the endless lists of things I want. I found the Ecto Glow Heroes, which was a line of RGB figures I somehow did not even know existed. I found Terrible Teeth, which I originally thought was either a mis-interpretation of having seen a photo of the orange mini-trap or a figment of my imagination. I also found Ecto-500, which my cousin had when we were little kids, and which I coveted intensely. It was such a cool vehicle, and I remember thinking that my cousin did not appreciate all the cool Ghostbusters toys he had. He even had the original 4 figures, which I never did.

So now, I can use eBay to find what I want, right? Wrong. I've been searching, now that my Ghostbusters collection is going to expand to its own shelving (whenever I buy a new shelf...). When I heard NECA was coming out with Ghostbusters figures (circa 2004, before my current toy collecting insanity) I looked for them, but not at many places. I definitely didn't look online. Now that Mattel is releasing such awesome Ghostbusters figures this summer, the NECA figures seem even more appealing. I have Slimer, but that's it. Gozer is available in relative abundance online. But the Terror Dogs-- Zuul and Vinz Clortho-- are nowhere to be found. There is one on Amazon for $60, which seems pretty steep. So what am I to do?

If I get the mini-mates, those will be relatively cheap and found at retail. I'll get Egon at the end of July, and then I've got the new Hot Toys Joker on pre-order; that'll be August. I think it would be reasonable to get a terror dog at some point soon, if I save up for it.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment